1. Skipping Breakfast or No Breakfast at all People who do not take breakfast usually have a lower blood sugar level. It leads to an insufficiency of nutrients to the brain causing brain degeneration. Skipping breakfast means no supply of carbohydrates which is very important in producing the energy you need for the rest of the day.
2. Over eating It’s fun to eat much especially if the foods before you are your favorites but over-eating causes the hardening of the brain arteries which leads to a decrease in mental power ability. In this case, you can’t concentrate well on a puzzle if you have eaten more than the usual.
3. Smoking It does not only damage the lungs but also the brain. The nicotine in cigarettes also contains some substances that causes multiple brain shrinkage. If this will continue, you might even get an Alzheimer’s disease.
4. High sugar consumption Having a high sugar count interrupts the absorption of proteins and nutrients causing malnutrition; it may also hinder the brain development. Thus, it is not advisable, especially for children to indulge in sweets.
5. Exposure in air pollution This is not actually a habit since we are always exposed to pollution. Yet, it is listed because it is one of the main causes of brain damage. It is a fact that the brain is one of the major oxygen consumers in the body. Inhaling polluted air decreases the supply of oxygen, bringing about a decrease in brain efficiency.
6. Lack of sleep or Sleep deprivation Sleep is very essential; it allows our brain to rest from all the hard work it has done. Long term deprivation from sleep accelerates the death of brain cells.
7. Head covered while sleeping Sleeping with your head covered increases the concentration of carbon dioxide and decreases the concentration of oxygen which leads to brain damaging effects.
8. Working your brain during illness This is very common to students and professionals alike. Going to school or office while sick and doing lots of brain work leads to the decrease of brain effectiveness and brings brain damage.
9. Lacking in stimulating thoughts Thinking is the best way to train our brain; having smart conversations or writing some essays is very healthy. It is best to always have brain stimulating thoughts to avoid brain shrinkage.
10. Talking Rarely There’s nothing bad in being talkative, it is actually healthy. Intellectual conversations promote the efficiency of the brain. Considering these given tips, it will help you be aware on how you are going to take good care of your brain. So, you better think of the right actions for your habits. (Marlon Velez)